From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Upgrading from amd64 to ~amd64.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:45:00
1 Barry.SCHWARTZ posted <20051018202551.GA12823@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:25:51 -0500:
3
4 > These days I run ~amd64 by default, but with the glibc from amd64. I
5 > found cups and the whole apache-php-subversion thing difficult to
6 > manage as ~amd64 so I also use the amd64 version there.
7
8 Interesting... Here, I'm running a still-masked gcc-4.0.1, with
9 dependencies on a binutils that was at least still masked when I unmasked
10 and merged it. Additionally, as part of the gcc4 thing, I'm running a
11 still-masked glibc snapshot that has gcc4 fixes.
12
13 So... one could say I'm at the opposite extreme as you... you stay stable
14 amd64 for glibc and etc, I use package.unmask to get stuff that's not even
15 in ~amd64 yet! =8^)
16
17 Of course, part of that probably has to do with something else you
18 mention, that whole apache-php-subversion thing. That implies the purpose
19 of your installation is server related, and servers traditionally run more
20 conservative settings, DEFINITELY so if they are publicly accessible or
21 mission critical.
22
23 I'm lucky enough to have a dual Opteron as my private desktop workstation,
24 where computing is my hobby, not my job, so if it breaks and takes a
25 couple days for me to figure out what's wrong and get things up and
26 running again, no big deal, that's simply part of the challenge that makes
27 my hobby enjoyable enough to keep me coming back for more! =8^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list