From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:18:56
1 On Friday 14 Sep 2007, Hamish wrote:
2
3 > WIth ssh you can use a public/private keypair to do the authentications.
4 > The sequence is something like
5 >
6 > 1. Create a keypair on the CLIENT side of the connection
7 > 2. Copy the PUBLIC part of the keypair from the client to the server and
8 > append to the file ~/.ssh/authorised_keys
9 >
10 > That's it...
11
12 Except that now, instead of being asked for a password, I'm asked for the
13 pass-phrase that belongs to the ssh key.
14
15 > Note that [...] that if you're doing this as root @ the server (Root at the
16 > client is fine, in fact usually required :), then (A) you shouldn't be
17
18 I agree. So far I haven't tried specifying a remote destination to rsnapshot,
19 which seems to assume it will be running on the backup host. If that's
20 feasible, of course I'd prefer to do so. I'll try it and see.
21
22 > (B) you might need to enable root login on sshd (In sshd_config on the
23 > server side).
24 >
25 > Hamish.
26