From: Hamish <hamish@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:35:41
1 On Friday 14 September 2007 10:22, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Here's today's problem.
3 >
4 > I have a firewall-cum-gateway box between my tiny LAN and the Internet. The
5 > gateway runs constantly, while the internal boxes run when needed (they're
6 > my laptop and workstation). I want to use some space on the gateway to
7 > store backups of the other boxes, and I'd like the backup to run unattended
8 > at a time when the others are likely to be running. This seems not to be
9 > possible without security risks.
10 >
11 > I've looked through all the Gentoo app-backup packages and found very few
12 > that are suitable for use out of the box. Ssh figures in them all, which is
13 > a good thing I suppose - except that I can't find a way to have ssh or scp
14 > run unattended.
15
16 WIth ssh you can use a public/private keypair to do the authentications. The
17 sequence is something like
18
19 1. Create a keypair on the CLIENT side of the connection
20 2. Copy the PUBLIC part of the keypair from the client to the server and
21 append to the file ~/.ssh/authorised_keys
22
23 That's it... Note that directory permissions and ownerships are very much
24 required to be correct. And also that if you're doing this as root @ the
25 server (Root at the client is fine, in fact usually required :), then (A) you
26 shouldn't be (B) you might need to enable root login on sshd (In sshd_config
27 on the server side).
28
29 Hamish.
30 --