From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Enabling debug info in Wine?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:15:44
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0803081040k3e83bd5oe583f4b299b68674@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:40:49 -0800:
4
5 > One comment about Wine. There is both Open Source software as well as
6 > free binary distribution software for Windows, especially in the audio
7 > area. Small signal processing units like reverb and synthesizers, etc.
8 > Not everythign compiled for Windows is created by the Dark Lords of the
9 > North West. Anyway, just because we run Wine doesn't mean we have to go
10 > against your free software mantra. That's a good portion of how I've
11 > used Wine in the past. Other than that I try, once in awhile, to run a
12 > game which I've already purchased. Not the best, I know, but better than
13 > continuing to purchase, or at least I think so. To each his/her own.
14
15 Agreed.
16
17 FWIW I've mentioned in the past that I have an old non-freedomware game I
18 still run, Master of Orion, original DOS edition, using DOSBOX. I'm not
19 proud of it but do admit that I'm pretty much its slave, as I'm basically
20 addicted, tho I can take some comfort in the fact that it's now a decade
21 and a half (copywrite 1993 and that was the update I got) old.
22
23 As for freedomware designed to run on MS Windows, yes, it does exist.
24 However, the platform itself isn't free (of course), and running apps
25 thru WINE is sort of like trying to drive from the back seat of a bus
26 using planks to control the steering and acceleration. It may be
27 possible, but if one can sit in the driver's seat (run a native Linux
28 application doing the same thing, better and faster), it's useful to do
29 so. =8^) I do recognize that choice isn't available for everyone, but
30 since I have it for everything I need to run (with that single game
31 exception), I take advantage of it. If you note, I described what I
32 choose to do; I didn't claim what you did was wrong for you, but am
33 simply glad that I can get away without it, even if it involves a bit of
34 pain at times (running gnash or swfdec for flash, for instance, and doing
35 without where it fails to work). It /does/ significantly decomplicate
36 the system side of things, since I can and do run nomultilib now. =8^)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list