From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Enabling debug info in Wine?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:40:52
1 On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2008.03.08.01.15.10@×××.net,
3 > excerpted below, on Sat, 08 Mar 2008 01:15:10 +0000:
6 > > There's a big caveat here, however. AFAIK wine is 32-bit only. (??) If
7 > > so, that means it and/or some of its libraries are likely to be binary-
8 > > only 32-bit compatibility packages, if you are using a standard multilib
9 > > profile. All these compiling options obviously aren't going to do a lot
10 > > of good on binary-only stuff. You can of course go the 32-bit chroot
11 > > route and thereby compile everything from source, but that's going to be
12 > > an awful lot of work just to debug something if you aren't extremely
13 > > motivated. OTOH, it DOES give you the opportunity to build the entire
14 > > 32- bit side with -g if you want, without interfering with your 64-bit
15 > > main system. This would be a blocker for many, but I'm not /sure/ wine
16 > > is 32- bit only.
17 >
18 > I just checked, wine does appear to be 32-bit only, as it's masked on my
19 > no-multilib profile. I don't know if it's binary-only or if it's
20 > actually built as 32-bit on multilib profiles, but it's certainly 32-bit
21 > only, and therefore masked by the no-multilib profile. FWIW.
24 Duncan,
25 Thanks for the responses. Even though they are a bit over my head
26 They were helpful.
27
28 One comment about Wine. There is both Open Source software as well
29 as free binary distribution software for Windows, especially in the
30 audio area. Small signal processing units like reverb and
31 synthesizers, etc. Not everythign compiled for Windows is created by
32 the Dark Lords of the North West. Anyway, just because we run Wine
33 doesn't mean we have to go against your free software mantra. That's a
34 good portion of how I've used Wine in the past. Other than that I try,
35 once in awhile, to run a game which I've already purchased. Not the
36 best, I know, but better than continuing to purchase, or at least I
37 think so. To each his/her own.
38
39 I ended up doing two things:
40
41 1) I built Wine using the nostrip feature. This did not produce
42 anything extra in the output. Maybe I'm somehow not taking the most
43 advantage, I don't know.
44
45 2) I built Wine using the WineHQ.org tarball but didn't install it. I
46 then ran it from its build directory. This worked fine and produced
47 backtrace data that the folks on the Wine list say looks pretty good
48 and should be helpful.
49
50 Again, and as always, I really appreciate all your inputs. They are
51 often enlightening!
52
53 Cheers,
54 Mark