From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wine with no-multilib on AMD64
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:03:18
1 Volker Armin Hemmann posted on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:29:06 +0100 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > On Samstag 13 März 2010, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
5 >> Hello all,
6 >>
7 >> I have been looking into installing wine and a cross dev tool chain. I
8 >> didn't get much luck, since I have amd64 and I use no-multilib. I found
9 >> this http://bugs.gentoo.org/269439 and I am wondering if any one can
10 >> provide an advice. Is it be possible to run wine on amd64 with
11 >> no-multilib ?
12 >
13 > you won't be able to run any 32bit windows app. Which makes wine pretty
14 > useless.
15
16 FWIW, I have no-multilib, but with the 32-bit compatibility turned on in
17 the kernel, I'm able to do the 32-bit chroot thing as in the gentoo/amd64
18 documentation.
19
20 In my case, I'm doing a full 32-bit chroot image, which then gets
21 transferred to my AA1 netbook. (The big machine has far more memory and
22 power to do the compiles, so it makes more sense to do that and not even
23 have the gentoo tree on the netbook, just transfer over the prebuilt,
24 preconfigured image, and rsync it again after every update. I've never
25 booted the 32-bit image on the big machine, tho, and indeed, couldn't, as
26 the kernel drivers, etc, are all built-in and configured for the netbook.)
27
28 For just running 32-bit stuff on the same machine, tho, you'd not need the
29 full system image, as you'd be able to skip stuff like syslog and the
30 kernel, as they'd be 64-bit hosted.
31
32 That'd give you the 32-bit stuff including wine in its own little chroot,
33 fully built from source as any Gentooer should appreciate, without
34 dirtying up your 64-bit-clean no-mulilib main install as the 32-bit stuff
35 would be in its own chroot, and without the compromise of the prebuilt 32-
36 bit libraries the typical multilib installation uses. It's a bit more
37 work to keep updated than a multilib install, but because the main install
38 is 64-bit clean no-multilib, you don't have the broken 32-bit toolchain
39 issues that seem to strike many multilib users after awhile. (...that I
40 got tired of after a few times, and that I was VERY glad to be rid of,
41 when I dumped multilib myself.)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman