From: Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wine with no-multilib on AMD64
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:03:22
1 Hello Duncan:
2 Pleae read my comments.
3
4 On Sat Mar 13,2010 10:20 pm, Duncan wrote:
5 > Volker Armin Hemmann posted on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:29:06 +0100 as
6 > excerpted:
7 >
8 > > On Samstag 13 M??rz 2010, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
9 > >> Hello all,
10 > >>
11 > >> I have been looking into installing wine and a cross dev tool chain. I
12 > >> didn't get much luck, since I have amd64 and I use no-multilib. I found
13 > >> this http://bugs.gentoo.org/269439 and I am wondering if any one can
14 > >> provide an advice. Is it be possible to run wine on amd64 with
15 > >> no-multilib ?
16 > >
17 > > you won't be able to run any 32bit windows app. Which makes wine pretty
18 > > useless.
19 >
20 > FWIW, I have no-multilib, but with the 32-bit compatibility turned on in
21 > the kernel, I'm able to do the 32-bit chroot thing as in the gentoo/amd64
22 > documentation.
23 >
24 > In my case, I'm doing a full 32-bit chroot image, which then gets
25 > transferred to my AA1 netbook. (The big machine has far more memory and
26 > power to do the compiles, so it makes more sense to do that and not even
27 > have the gentoo tree on the netbook, just transfer over the prebuilt,
28 > preconfigured image, and rsync it again after every update. I've never
29 > booted the 32-bit image on the big machine, tho, and indeed, couldn't, as
30 > the kernel drivers, etc, are all built-in and configured for the netbook.)
31
32 Are you saying that you have another 32bit gentoo image, and you mount it
33 somewhere and chroot to it? If so, what does the memory has to do with this ?
34 Can you please elaborate on this ? The space is not a concern to me, but
35 I'd rather not mix 32 and 64 libs.
38 > For just running 32-bit stuff on the same machine, tho, you'd not need the
39 > full system image, as you'd be able to skip stuff like syslog and the
40 > kernel, as they'd be 64-bit hosted.
41 >
42 > That'd give you the 32-bit stuff including wine in its own little chroot,
43 > fully built from source as any Gentooer should appreciate, without
44 > dirtying up your 64-bit-clean no-mulilib main install as the 32-bit stuff
45 > would be in its own chroot, and without the compromise of the prebuilt 32-
46 > bit libraries the typical multilib installation uses. It's a bit more
47 > work to keep updated than a multilib install, but because the main install
48 > is 64-bit clean no-multilib, you don't have the broken 32-bit toolchain
49 > issues that seem to strike many multilib users after awhile. (...that I
50 > got tired of after a few times, and that I was VERY glad to be rid of,
51 > when I dumped multilib myself.)
52 >
53 > --
54 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
55 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
56 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman