From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD browsing and multimedia
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:45:15
1 On Friday 22 December 2006 13:03, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-amd64] AMD browsing and multimedia':
3 > Hi,
4 > I'm wondering what the best solutions are right now for a full
5 > featured browser in GentooAMD64?
6 >
7 > I use a number of Investing web sites. Some of them won't even try
8 > to run certain features telling me I'm on an unsupported OS. The ones
9 > that do try to run the features seem to fail in one area or another.
10 > Is it possible to make all 3 of these technologies work in a single
11 > browser on AMD64?
12 >
13 > 1) Java
14 > 2) Flash
15 > 3) 32-bit streaming media?
16
17 #1 "Just works" for me on konqueror. I believe the relevant USE flag is
18 nsplugin. I believe the relevant package is anything satisfying
19 virtual/jre with the nsplugin USE flag non-binary.
20
21 #2 Adobe's flash doesn't work in 64-bit land, so you have to have some
22 32-bit compatibility layer. At one time, that was as simple as using
23 firefox-bin. Even now, you can just do the whole system as x86 CHOST (is
24 which case everything is 32-bit) or set up a 32-bit chroot
25 (well-documented, but a little wasteful on disk space) or even use the
26 un-supoorted package ported from debian that allows 64-bit konqueror to
27 load 32-bit plugins.
28
29 #3 You'll have to be more specific. The only media I've ever had problems
30 with are Microsoft-specific, generally undocumented formats, and some of
31 those even work now that we've got a reversed-engineered source-based
32 implementation. Standard media formats and, in particular, open media
33 formats have always "just worked" for me, although they do often have an
34 associated USE flag.
35
36 > It seems that if I run firefox-bin I get most Flash and streaming
37 > media, or at least as much as I think I need. However I definitely do
38 > not get Java.
39
40 Try getting a 32-bit -bin jre/jdk. It may provide a plugin (via the
41 nsplugin USE flag) that can be symlinked to the correct place to work in
42 your firefox-bin.
43
44 > It seems that if I run firefox compiled for 64-bit then Flash
45 > doesn't work and I don't think all Java does either, or at least on my
46 > system.
47
48 Adobe's flash just doesn't work in 64-bit land. You might try gnash
49 though, it's just as much of a memory and CPU hog, and it certainly
50 allowed websites to annoy the !@#$% out of me with ads the few days I had
51 it installed. That is, it did work as a flash player (mostly); it was not
52 able to play items from YouTube, so I just don't watch YouTube.
53
54 HTH
57 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
58 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
59 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
60 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh