From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 05:07:33
1 On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 19:09 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 16:09 -0800, Bob Sanders wrote:
4 > >> Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
5 > >> > far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
6 > >> >
7 > >> > My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
8 > >> > a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
9 > >> > get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
10 > >> > However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
11 > >> > when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
12 > >> > after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
13 > >> > other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
14 > >> > machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
15 > >> > putting out 'black'?
16 > >> >
17 > >>
18 > >> The "black" is the monitor being driven beyond it's spec in either
19 > >> vertical or horitizontal or both.
20 > >>
21 > >> For it to work, you'll need a proper mode line that can be stolen from
22 > >> some other Linux system via a google search or by downloading puppy
23 > >> linux and using that to work out what X is doing.
24 > >>
25 > >> With X and gfx, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is your friend. Especially when
26 > >> used with a google search on the error message.
27 > >>
28 > >> Bob
29 > >> -
30 > >>
31 > >>
32 > > have you emerged a window manager/desktop? twm and xterm are no longer
33 > > provided with the server.
36 > No - I haven't since I cannot even startx and see anything.
37 >
38 > - Mark
39 >
40 I believe the black screen is in fact a running xserver that has no
41 display manager no window manager no desktop and thus nothing to
42 display. Recommend you emerge your favorites.
43 Alternate run:
44 X -retro to start xserver that will show the old black/white stipple and
45 a mouse cursor.
46 Note: you will have to do a power off to get out of X.