From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:10:30
1 On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 16:09 -0800, Bob Sanders wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
4 >> > far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
5 >> >
6 >> >    My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
7 >> > a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
8 >> > get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
9 >> > However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
10 >> > when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
11 >> > after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
12 >> > other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
13 >> > machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
14 >> > putting out 'black'?
15 >> >
16 >>
17 >> The "black" is the monitor being driven beyond it's spec in either
18 >> vertical or horitizontal or both.
19 >>
20 >> For it to work, you'll need a proper mode line that can be stolen from
21 >> some other Linux system  via a google search or by downloading puppy
22 >> linux and using that to work out what X is doing.
23 >>
24 >> With X and gfx, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is your friend.  Especially when
25 >> used with a google search on the error message.
26 >>
27 >> Bob
28 >> -
31 > have you emerged a window manager/desktop? twm and xterm are no longer
32 > provided with the server.
35 No - I haven't since I cannot even startx and see anything.
36
37 - Mark