From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:02:14
1 On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 16:09 -0800, Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
3 > > far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
4 > >
5 > > My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
6 > > a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
7 > > get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
8 > > However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
9 > > when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
10 > > after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
11 > > other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
12 > > machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
13 > > putting out 'black'?
16 > The "black" is the monitor being driven beyond it's spec in either
17 > vertical or horitizontal or both.
18 >
19 > For it to work, you'll need a proper mode line that can be stolen from
20 > some other Linux system via a google search or by downloading puppy
21 > linux and using that to work out what X is doing.
22 >
23 > With X and gfx, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is your friend. Especially when
24 > used with a google search on the error message.
25 >
26 > Bob
27 > -
30 have you emerged a window manager/desktop? twm and xterm are no longer
31 provided with the server.