From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:09:31
1 Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
2 > far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
3 >
4 > My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
5 > a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
6 > get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
7 > However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
8 > when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
9 > after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
10 > other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
11 > machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
12 > putting out 'black'?
15 The "black" is the monitor being driven beyond it's spec in either
16 vertical or horitizontal or both.
17
18 For it to work, you'll need a proper mode line that can be stolen from
19 some other Linux system via a google search or by downloading puppy
20 linux and using that to work out what X is doing.
21
22 With X and gfx, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is your friend. Especially when
23 used with a google search on the error message.
24
25 Bob
26 -