From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Initial install issues
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:52:31
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 19:37, Duncan wrote:
2 > "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
3 > 200605171556.50195.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
4 >
5 > on Wed, 17 May 2006 15:56:50 +0200:
6 > > 'declocking'
7 > >
8 > > is not a solution.
9 > >
10 > > If your ram does only workes underclocked, it is a reason to RMA it. If
11 > > other ram has problems too, RMA the board.
12 > >
13 > > There is no reason to tolerate crappy hardware.
14 > >
15 > > Hardware has to work, or it is replaced. To be 'soft' with the vendors
16 > > only encourages them to sell more crap.
17 >
18 > Well, in my case I had purchased generic memory at a cheap price and got
19 > what I paid for. I didn't immediately recognize that as the problem,
20 > however, and since it worked most of the time...
21 >
22 > In the OP's case, however, he said name-brand memory. That's definitely
23 > worth returning, if it's found to be the problem. If declocking the
24 > memory (only) works, then it's obviously the problem. =8^\
25
26 name-brand..
27
28 ct (the big german computer magazine), had a BIG ram test some years ago.
29 Errors, correct SPD and so on.
30 The only vendor, who had correct SPDroms were Infinion. Micron was good too.
31
32 Some of the biggest crap is sold with a 'brand name' on it. Kingston even sold
33 ramsticks, that were physically damaged - the sticker machine had crunched
34 the ICs below the sticker. Said says all about there quality checks.
35
36 I have two sticks. One noname elixir, one Kingston. Kingston was more
37 expensive, their SPDrom is a lot worse. Errors, omitted fields. That is not
38 really funny.
39
40 Oh, and 'overclocking ram' and ram advertised with special high speeds all
41 failed the test....
42
43 that tells everything about 'brand name' and 'oc'ing special'.
44 --
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list