From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 or 32?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:33:17
1 On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:35:08AM +0000, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 >
3 > - for what I'd like to do with video (ripping and converting DVDs and DV
4 > processing) 64 bit software is not ready: I did not check directly if
5 > transcode works, but DVDRip would not start. Cinelerra didn't install either,
6 > only kino worked - and MainActor is still 32 bit, if it works at all.
7 I use mencoder (mplayer) in 64 bit mode to rip dvd's to mpeg4 (divx)
8 without issues.
9
10 > - regarding audio, 64bit is not an issue. Ripping the CD allready took more
11 > time than converting to ogg on my dual Athlon.
12 I am finishing up re-ripping my CD library to flac and then to ogg. I
13 don't have any benchmarks, but I swear it's faster in gentoo64 then when
14 I did it the first time with WinXP (32) on the same hardware.
15
16 > - standard desktop applications, as far as I am concerned, heavily rely on
17 > OpenOffice.org and that is still 32 bit
18 OOo works fine in bin format
19
20 > - gaming also requires 32bit
21 cedega works fine here with emul- libs, no major performace difference
22 between 32 and 64 that I've seen in my testing (playing WoW)
23
24 > Does anyone have other arguments to justify the troubles of working with a
25 > 64bit install at the moment?
26
27 No arugments here, the wonderful thing about gentoo is the freedom to
28 choose what is best for you. If there are applications you have found
29 that aren't 64 bit ready, and don't feel like setting up a 32 bit
30 chroot, then the 32 bit install is probably your best choice. If you
31 like to push the technology to it's limits, and are willing to deal with
32 minor issues, then maybe go 64 bit now, as it only gets better with
33 time. It could save you a lot of time down the road since switching from
34 32 to 64 will take a full reinstall.
35
36 Brett
37 --