From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:12:52
1 Hi Canek - good to hear from you.
2
3 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Hi all,
6 >> I'd like to check in and get some education concerning future
7 >> configuration of my Gentoo machines. Thanks in advance.
8 >>
9 >> In the last few days there is a news announcement about needing to
10 >> change kernel my configuration to enable CONFIG_FHANDLE to support
11 >> udev-210. I'm currently at udev-208 and virtual/udev-208-r1 so no big
12 >> deal yet. However reading the news announcement it appears this has
13 >> more to do with systemd than anything else and I don't use systemd so
14 >> does/will this effect my machines?
15 >
16 > Yes, it will; udev (independently of systemd) is using FHANDLE to find
17 > the devices in the computer.
18 >
19 > udev is part of systemd, but it can be used separately. This is
20 > supported by upstream (i.e., systemd). The change in the kernel config
21 > is needed by udev.
24 So as an end user type I'm a little confused by this part of your
25 response. When you say udev is 'part of systemd' do you mean at the
26 project level? That's what I understand from your longer response
27 below.
28
29 >> NOTE: I have no problem I know about today enabling CONFIG_FHANDLE
30 >> if it's recommended.
31 >
32 > It is: udev will not work without it. Even more: eudev (when they
33 > catch up) will not work without it either, since eudev does no
34 > original work; they just exorcise systemd from udev.
37 Good to know and I've already read a little more about it and enabled
38 it in my kernel.
39
40 >> That said there's an interesting (if it is to be believed) little
41 >> rant thread over the last couple of days on LKML about Debian
42 >> leadership forcing people into systemd.
43 >
44 > The Debian Technical Committee took the technical decision of using
45 > systemd as default init system. There is no "forcing" here; Debian is
46 > ruled by a Constitution, and they (very slowly) followed their rules
47 > and laws to reach that decision.
48 >
49 >> I think the Gentoo devs forked
50 >> udev to make either mdev or eudev but when it was announced it was too
51 >> new for me so I just let it go by.
52 >
53 > Gentoo, by default, uses udev without systemd. Again, this is
54 > supported by upstream (i.e., systemd), nothing special about it.
55 > *Some* Gentoo developers "forked" systemd into eudev, so you can have
56 > a "udev without systemd" (although, as stated above, upstream supports
57 > udev without systemd). I don't know the exact numbers, but it's my
58 > impression (by reading -dev and -user), that eudev is used in Gentoo
59 > (and only Gentoo) by a handful of people. The great majority is using
60 > sys-fs/udev, and I'm willing to bet that more people are using systemd
61 > directly than eudev.
62 >
63 >> Maybe now it's time for me to look
64 >> into making a change of some type? I see eudev in portage, but not
65 >> mdev.
66 >
67 > Using eudev will gain you nothing; the FHANDLE change will reach them
68 > eventually. If you use mdev, you will have a noticeable loss of
69 > functionality. I think even less people use mdev than eudev.
70 >
71 >> A (really, really, really) quick scan of the current install docs
72 >> makes me think sysvinit/OpenRC/udev is still the default for new
73 >> installs. Is this true?
74 >
75 > Yes, it's true, and no one will propose changing this, at least in the
76 > near future. And even if systemd becomes the standard Gentoo init
77 > system, OpenRC will be (almost surely) supported until the end of
78 > times.
79 >
80 >> If so why is this kernel change being
81 >> required?
82 >
83 > Because is new functionality provided by the kernel required by
84 > *udev*, not (necessarily) systemd. Happens all the time; new
85 > technology in the kernel is pretty useless if userspace doesn't start
86 > taking advantage of it.
89 Understood.
90
91 >> Also, I seem to have virtual/udev installed which says it's about
92 >> enabling switching between udev & eudev. However there are no files
93 >> associated with virtual/udev. (equery files virtual/udev returns
94 >> nothing)
95 >
96 > That's why it's a virtual; a virtual pulls in different
97 > implementations of the (in theory) same functionality.
98 >
99 >> It appears I cannot install eudev without removing udev so
100 >> this seems a big step to take:
101 > [ snip]
102 >
103 > It is a big step to take, and it will gain you nothing: eventually,
104 > eudev *will* require FHANDLE, unless they diverge even more from
105 > upstream, a thing I believe they cannot afford to do.
106 >
107 >> At this point I'm not even sure what my other questions might be as
108 >> I'm just trying to get my head around what others are using these
109 >> days.
110 >
111 > Well, it's undeniable that systemd usage is on the raising everywhere,
112 > including Gentoo (specially since GNOME pulls it in). I myself use
113 > systemd, and could not be happier.
114 >
115 > However, OpenRC is (and will be for the foreseeable future) the
116 > default init system.
117
118 Humm. OK, so I've updated my main spinning rust kernel for FHANDLE. No
119 problems there. sysvinit/OpenRC/udev. All good.
120
121 As I write this I'm in my SSD backup Gentoo install. I haven't used it
122 in awhile so I'm emerging 668 packages. System setup as above but
123 maybe I'll consider switching this one to systemd just as a trial. At
124 this time it's not important on my personal machines. However my 86
125 year old father is the last Gnome holdout in the family. I've not
126 updated his box in quite awhile (cognitive issues, fewer GUI changes
127 are better for him) However if I do update then it will likely be
128 Gnome so having at least a little experience with systemd might be
129 good.
132 >> I do have a second Gentoo install on this system on an SSD so
133 >> (once updated) I could do a switch there as a test.
134 >
135 > My suggestion is for you to enable FHANDLE. From the kernel:
136 >
137 <SNIP>
138
139 Done, no noticeable impact after 20 minutes. All good.
142 > So just enable the thing and go on with your life.
143 >
144 > My 0.02 ${CURRENCY}.
145 >
146 > Regards.
147 > --
148 > Canek Peláez Valdés
149 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
150 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
153 Again, THANKS for a wonderful response with lots of good information.
154 We're lucky to have you as one of the long-time Gentoo guys. I for one
155 greatly appreciate what little I understand. :-)
156
157 Cheers,
158 Mark