From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:38:11
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi Canek - good to hear from you.
3
4 Hi.
5
6 [snip]
7
8 > So as an end user type I'm a little confused by this part of your
9 > response. When you say udev is 'part of systemd' do you mean at the
10 > project level? That's what I understand from your longer response
11 > below.
12
13 Yeah, udev is part of systemd: [1].
14
15 [snip]
16
17 > Good to know and I've already read a little more about it and enabled
18 > it in my kernel.
19
20 Good.
21
22 [snip]
23
24 > Humm. OK, so I've updated my main spinning rust kernel for FHANDLE. No
25 > problems there. sysvinit/OpenRC/udev. All good.
26
27 Good.
28
29 > As I write this I'm in my SSD backup Gentoo install. I haven't used it
30 > in awhile so I'm emerging 668 packages. System setup as above but
31 > maybe I'll consider switching this one to systemd just as a trial. At
32 > this time it's not important on my personal machines. However my 86
33 > year old father is the last Gnome holdout in the family. I've not
34 > updated his box in quite awhile (cognitive issues, fewer GUI changes
35 > are better for him) However if I do update then it will likely be
36 > Gnome so having at least a little experience with systemd might be
37 > good.
38
39 If your father is still using GNOME 2, GNOME 3 could be almost
40 traumatic. Perhaps you could try MATE? It's going into the tree soon,
41 i believe. Or Xfce.
42
43 [snip]
44
45 > Done, no noticeable impact after 20 minutes. All good.
46
47 Good.
48
49 [snip]
50
51 > Again, THANKS for a wonderful response with lots of good information.
52 > We're lucky to have you as one of the long-time Gentoo guys. I for one
53 > greatly appreciate what little I understand. :-)
54
55 Thank you.
56
57 Regards.