From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Ugly desktop
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:48:04
1 Jonathan Schaeffer posted <d60596f50601271523s550e2fa5q@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:23:25 +0100:
3
4 > 2006/1/28, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
5 >> Jonathan Schaeffer posted <43DA82CA.4020904@×××××.com>, excerpted below,
6 >> on Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:30:02 +0100:
9 >> I see the taskbar issue, but couldn't see the Qt issue. Of course, I'm a
10 >> KDE user, not an XFCE user, so maybe that's it.
11 >
12 > I think it's just about the QT style. "Plastique" would have been
13 > cuter. Still, qtconfig it useless.
14 >
15 >> In any case, I don't
16 >> have any suggestions altho I can certainly see how you'd be frustrated
17 >> with the taskbar as it is. Someone else may be of help, as there are
18 >> several XFCE users here I believe, but pointing you to the desktop
19 >> group/list is the best I can do with it.
20 >
21 > That's pretty well. Thanks.
22
23 I think I just figured out what that text corruption problem is! I was
24 catching up on reading the message-logs from the new portage (2.1-pre
25 versions, ~amd64) and came across one for gtk+-2.8.10:
26
27 * If you experience text corruption issues, turn off RenderAccel
28 * in your xorg.conf. NVIDIA is working on this issue.
29 * See http://bugs.gentoo.org/113123 for more information.
30
31 That was probably what the guy referring to PANGO was talking about, as
32 well.
33
34 Of course, if NVidia released specs so Free drivers could be developed,
35 which they might just do if more folks refused to support them until they
36 did, then we'd not have to /wait/ for NVidia, as we could set our own
37 priorities for how important the fix was, instead of letting our "masters"
38 (see the sig) set our priorities for us. Well, they aren't /my/ master!
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
44 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list