From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Copying an entire installation
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:24:24
1 On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:00:28 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > The straightforward way seems to be to copy the world file from the
4 > current system to the new one (after finishing a basic installation
5 > using the standard methods) and running "emerge -uaDvN world". Is this
6 > likely to run me into problems? Perhaps I should prefer "emerge -1 `cat
7 > old.world.file`?"
8
9 The last time I tried copying world, portage complained. emerge -u $(cat
10 oldfile) worked, but you don't want -1 as you want the packages added to
11 your new world.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.