From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Modular X upgrade fonts
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:28:53
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 44AD03AD.4000603@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 06 Jul 2006
3 08:35:57 -0400:
4
5 > I just upgraded to X7 and my fonts and desktop settings are all screwed
6 > up. My font size is way too big compared to what it was before. I just
7 > spend a couple of hours fixing my xorg.conf file since it seems that
8 > fglrxconfig didn't completely create my config file and i had to rip what
9 > was needed off my old file. Has anyone else seen this strangeness?
10 > I'm running KDE 3.5.2.
11
12 This isn't an uncommon problem with an X upgrade, particularly if the
13 i2c/ddc/edid info on your monitor doesn't come thru or isn't accurate, as
14 the default dpi seems to change between versions. The cure is to to set
15 "DisplaySize xxx yyy" in your Section "Monitor", where xxx/yyy are the
16 dimensions of your monitor (viewable area) in mm. That allows X to
17 accurately calculate your dpi instead of just guessing. Since I've done
18 that, I've had no more surprise changes!
19
20 (Note that certain exotic setups, such as my merged-framebuffer dual
21 monitor on a Radeon 9250 card running the xorg native libreware drivers,
22 may have a different way to set it. In my case, the merged framebuffer
23 takes its own separate setting, Option MergedDPI xxx yyy under the
24 appropriate Section "Device", with xxx/yyy now being dots per inch, 100 in
25 my case, rather than screen dimensions.)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list