From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Glibc-2.10.1 Breaks Pdnsd (Solved)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 22:54:59
1 On Mon, 18 May 2009 23:19:41 +0200
2 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > have you tried revdep-rebuild?! and rebuilding pdnsd?!
8 Well, I think that I have solved the problem -- or at least have
9 accidentally stumbled upon the solution.
10
11 With the new glibc-2.10.0 and pdnsd, DNS lookups from software such
12 as firefox, wget, curl, and email clients would fail. However, DNS lookups
13 form other programs such as host and nslookup would not fail. The difference
14 was traced to the use of the glibc gethostbyname() routine and the /etc/resolv.conf
15 file.
16
17 I am still not able to fully understand what's going on, but if I keep the
18 /etc/resolv.conf file intact while using pdnsd, all DNS lookups are successful.
19 Previously, pdnsd did not require the use of the /etc/resolv.conf file
20 because its own configuration file specified the name servers to use.
21 For this reason I had always deleted the /etc/resolv.conf file before using
22 pdnsd. However, with the new glibc-2.10.1, the gesthostbyname() routine most
23 likely is failing if the /etc/resolv.conf is not present. This is just a guess
24 but it seems plausible. With the /etc/resolv.conf file present, the gethostbyname()
25 routine is able to pass on to pdnsd.
26
27 Only with further debugging and tracing would it be possible to get an
28 accurate picture, but since pdnsd now functions normally, I'll just accept
29 things as they now stand.
30
31 In conclusion, a bug is not present anywhere. Pdnsd has an unconventional
32 configuration scheme and this now causes problems if the user decides to eliminate
33 the /etc/resolv.conf file.
34
35 Frank Peters