From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: multilib screwed me one time too many, how to rid myself of it?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:00:57
1 William Tetrault <xcourse97@×××××××.net> posted
2 46506D3F.4010609@×××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sun, 20 May 2007
3 10:46:07 -0500:
4
5 > It's easier to fix the USE flag differences by hand. And I don't think
6 > it's necessary to copy the no-multilib files to /etc/portage/profile.
7 > Just rm /etc/portage/profile and re-link to the no-multilib profile,
8 > adding those USE flags you need (which probably won't even be all those
9 > USE flags included in the desktop profile.
10 >
11 > I'd say the rest of your surmising is correct.
12
13 Thanks.
14
15 Well, I did it and am doing an emerge -e world now. (I'm trying the new
16 still-masked gcc-4.2.0, and hadn't done an emptytree emerge world for
17 some time, so it's a good idea even if it wasn't really required for the
18 profile change.)
19
20 It wasn't a tenth as bad as I thought it might be. Other than the masks,
21 most of which are 32-bit binary-only stuff anyway, so not anything I'd
22 have merged in the first place, there's very little in that specific
23 subprofile, much less than I initially thought, as most stuff is
24 inherited from the cascade, and thus was common to both the old and new
25 profiles.
26
27 After doing the actual symlink switch, I ran an emerge -pN world and only
28 four USE flags changed state, all of which I wanted to keep as they were
29 (I generally pay pretty close attention to such things, so have my flags
30 set the way I want them), so that was four additions to my /etc/portage/
31 make.conf/use file. (My make.conf is simply a number of includes,
32 cflags, ldflags, use, features, fs, makeopts, net, log, mirrors, custom,
33 other, all included files located in /etc/portage/make.conf/* with only
34 the appropriate settings in each of them. Easier maintenance that way.)
35
36 I had actually already done an emerge -e system after switching to the
37 new gcc, and ran into problems compiling 32-bit sandbox, so used emerge --
38 resume --skipfirst on it to finish the system class. Thus, I only had to
39 remerge sandbox, gcc, glibc, and eselect-opengl, to kill all the entries
40 that had existed in equery b lib32 and pretty much all my 32-bit stuff.
41 I remerged baselayout just to be safe, before hand deleting the .keep
42 files and lib32 dirs.
43
44 After killing grub and merging grub-static, and recompiling the kernel
45 (which I hadn't yet done with gcc-4.2.0, as I do it using my own scripts,
46 outside of portage) it was time to start the emerge -e world, which is
47 now underway, a total of 608 packages to remerge, 580 or so to go...
48
49 So, everything seems fine so far. Nice not to have to worry about that
50 stupid 32-bit stuff, either the dirs or the problems it seemed to bring
51 every so often, any more. =8^)
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
59 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list