From: William Tetrault <xcourse97@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] multilib screwed me one time too many, how to rid myself of it?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:48:12
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > I've been running multilib-desktop profile for awhile, and the standard
3 > multilib profile before it split into desktop and server. However, other
4 > than grub, the only stuff I need multilib around for is multilib itself,
5 > as I don't do binary only stuff and thus have little use for the 32-bit
6 > side. Now the multilib stuff is yet again screwed up (sandbox won't
7 > configure, because gcc-config apparently has a screwed up i686-pc-linux-
8 > gnu-gcc and an invalid ctarget), and as I'm already tired of spending all
9 > that extra time compiling gcc and twice the time compiling glibc, to no
10 > end other than to continue multilib support, I decided it's time to dump
11 > it!
12 >
13 > The problem is, I now need both the no-multilib profile and the desktop
14 > profile. Is multi-inheritance working yet? Regardless, what's the best
15 > way to effectively get both (presumably with no-multilib inheriting from
16 > desktop, since no-multilib is clearly the more restricted of the two)?
17 >
18 > Must I go with no-multilib and fix up the USE flag differences by hand?
19 > Other than the obvious 32-bit package masks and gcc/glibc/sandbox/
20 > binutils differences on no-multilib, are there other significant
21 > differences in the profiles I need to think about?
22 >
23 > Maybe it would be better to stay with desktop, and configure the
24 > toolchain differences by hand, since I shouldn't need to worry much about
25 > the masks, because they're mostly 32-bit binary stuff I'd not be
26 > interested in anyway, save for the grub special-case? Do I pretty much
27 > just copy the appropriate files from no-multilib to /etc/portage/profile,
28 > or is it substantially more complicated than that?
29 >
30 > What about going forward? Which profile is likely to have the least
31 > critical changes, and thus be the easiest to maintain by hand, if that
32 > indeed is what I have to do? What sort of tree profile changes am I
33 > likely to miss out on? (I suspect it'd be safer to go no-multilib, as
34 > changes there are likely to be more critical and necessary to follow,
35 > than ones in desktop. I may be wrong.)
36 >
37 It's easier to fix the USE flag differences by hand. And I don't think
38 it's necessary to copy the no-multilib files to /etc/portage/profile.
39 Just rm /etc/portage/profile and re-link to the no-multilib profile,
40 adding those USE flags you need (which probably won't even be all those
41 USE flags included in the desktop profile.
42
43 I'd say the rest of your surmising is correct.
44 --
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list