From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:48:04
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > As I've mentioned a couple times recently, I run direct Linus kernel
3 > git.  Previously I've waited until rc2 or so before trying the new
4 > development kernel, but I got bored and decided to try following the
5 > kernel even in the merge window this time.
6 >
7 > Sometime in the last 24 hours or so, Linus merged the Radeon KMS (kernel
8 > mode setting) code!  I've been looking forward to this for a couple
9 > versions now, so am glad it's finally here!
10 >
11 > Presently, it's only thru the Radeon r5xx chip series, so thru the model
12 > x1950 cards.  They'll add the newer r6xx/r7xx chips (beyond x1950 and the
13 > hd* cards) later.
14 >
15 > Of course I'm not actually running kms yet, as my X userspace isn't new
16 > enough (I don't think, AFAIK the xorg-server-1.6.1.901-r3 that I'm
17 > running should support it, but the xf86-video-ati-6.12.2 doesn't yet, I'd
18 > need the -9999 live git version for that, and would probably need to
19 > match it with the live-git xorg-server-9999 as well), so I've not enabled
20 > the kernel's radeon-kms-by-default option, which appears under the
21 > staging drivers for the moment.  But it's in the kernel mainline now, and
22 > I'm running that kernel (2.6.30-6553-g65795ef) with no general observed
23 > issues ATM.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
27 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
28 > and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
29
30 So what would KMS do for me when I finally have access to it?
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark