From: Jean-Marc Hengen <hengenj@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Silly X question.
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:12:36
1 Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Is that supposed to be the
3 > case? I thought when the system had to detect everything it would
4 > create a new one?
5 >
6 > I do have an xorg.conf~ file sitting in that directory, could the system
7 > be using that one instead?
8
9 The way, I understand it, starting with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.x with
10 sys-apps/hal support, Xorg requests input devices from HAL. (Could be,
11 that 1.4.x did it also, but for 1.5.x I'm sure.) HAL will then take
12 care, that the device is configured the right way. If one doesn't like
13 the default behaviour (e.g. keyboard layout), one should set an
14 additional policy for hal (in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/), instead of writing
15 an input section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. So /etc/X11/xorg.conf is still
16 there to configure the graphic cards (driver) and screens.
17
18 I read somewhere, that one long term goal of Xorg is to work with zero
19 configuration. From my experience, the defaults from Xorg work quite
20 good. Sometimes I force the graphics driver to do something particular,
21 like EXA, because I want to test it and upstream doesn't consider it
22 stable enough, that it choosen as default acceleration method (at least
23 in the past EXA wasn't default for some drivers). So maybe for your
24 case, the default value are good enough and it works without any
25 configuration (with HAL reporting the input devices with configuration
26 and DDC reports monitor configuration).
27
28 I recommend reading /var/log/Xorg.0.log, that's the way I check, what
29 Xorg is doing. Additional informations on 11-base/xorg-server-1.5.x and
30 HAL can be found on Remi Cardona's blog:
31 http://blogs.gentoo.org/remi/2008/10/18/it_s_been_too_long
32
33 J_M