From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:48:25
1 On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Frank Peters<frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > In a lot of cases, for example perl, Xorg, and gcc, the Gentoo
3 > distribution lags far behind the latest available releases.
4 > Even allowing the "~amd64" unstable series, this remains true.
5 > Why is this so?
6 >
7 > I had first considered moving to Gentoo in the fall of 2008,
8 > but after noticing that the only version of gcc available at
9 > that time was gcc-3.x, I postponed the change.  In the spring
10 > of 2009, Gentoo finally moved up to gcc-4.3.x and then I made
11 > the transition.  But the update to the 4.3 series was a long time
12 > in coming.
13 >
14 > The latest perl, released some time ago, is version 5.10 but
15 > Gentoo includes only 5.8.8.
16 >
17 > The latest Xorg has restructured certain libxcb dependencies,
18 > which has caused a lot of problems for a lot of packages,
19 > and Gentoo is behind these changes as well.
20 >
21 > (Ironically, it was this libxcb issue as well as the whole Xorg
22 > modularity mess that first motivated me to seek out Gentoo.)
23 >
24 > Now I am not actually voicing a complaint.  Gentoo, IMO, is still
25 > the best distribution for Linux.  I am just wondering why there
26 > is such a great lag before a package version is deemed stable -- or
27 > even unstable.  In my experience with maintaining my own Linux system,
28 > I never had any great issues with always installing the latest "bleeding"
29 > edge software.
30 >
31 > Frank Peters
35 I'd pose this question to the developers/maintainers of Gentoo as
36 opposed to users. Periodically someone will voice an opinion about
37 this stuff here. Personally I'm happy with pure stable most of the
38 time so it doesn't effect me much.
39
40 On the other hand Portage is so flexible that you could write a few
41 ebuilds for packages you're interested in and pretty much be there as
42 soon as you desire...
43
44 Just my views,
45 Mark