From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Status of Gcc-5.1.0?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 20:36:28
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > On Sat, 23 May 2015 15:47:04 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
6 > > My experience is quite the opposite: With graphite, I had
7 > > many random crashes (and seldom also unexplainable compiler
8 > > errors which vanish without graphite).
11 > My whole system has been compiled with graphite since its introduction
12 > and I've never seen any problems.
13
14 Well, to my mind, the biggest problem with graphite is how it is
15 dependent on libraries with funny names. Thus one should always, I
16 think, at least keep a compiler of _some_ reliable version around
17 compiled without it, and capable of building other gcc versions.
18
19 I tend to keep quite a few gcc versions around, but then I like to
20 program and occasionally to test on different versions. Also, being
21 conservative, I generally use a newer version for development than for
22 building my system. I do not move my system compiler to a new version
23 just because I installed that version. One can always set the compiler
24 per-package via /etc/portage files.