From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:10:41
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> Of course every single user can keep a neat and clean /dev directory.
5 >> The point is, most users don't want to do that. Using udev solves that
6 >> issue *for every possible user using every possible hardware
7 >> combination*.
8 >
9 > Which is why it is a nice _option_, unnecessary for Gentoo in general,
10
11 Whoa, excuse me? Who are you to make that call? I'm a Gentoo user, and
12 I think udev is necessary. Besides, Gentoo uses udev *by default*
13 since, like, ever. That is not going to change, at least soon, and
14 probably never.
15
16 > and foolish to make a _prerequisite_ to run a whole lot of
17 > software.
18
19 That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I don't share it, and
20 (more importantly) the Gentoo devs don't share it, since udev is
21 installed and used by default in Gentoo. If you want to use eudev (or
22 mdev), you need to do it by yourself.
23
24 > That’s exactly my point, and I think it was Frank’s as well.
25
26 I understand; I'm just trying to explain why every Linux distro
27 (except a few niche ones) uses udev, and why most of them use systemd.
28
29 > The trouble comes not from udev itself but from ‘vertical integration’
30 > involving udev, which is directly contrary to principles of good,
31 > modular design.
32
33 We already had this discussion in -user (and they had it in Debian,
34 Arch, OpenSUSE and Fedora). Those "principles" you speak of are not
35 religious commandments; they are rules of thumb, and the sky doesn't
36 fall if you don't follow them to the letter.
37
38 And, also, it can be argued that systemd/udev has a good modular
39 design. From [1]:
40
41 "1. Myth: systemd is monolithic.
42
43 If you build systemd with all configuration options enabled you will
44 build 69 individual binaries. These binaries all serve different
45 tasks, and are neatly separated for a number of reasons. For example,
46 we designed systemd with security in mind, hence most daemons run at
47 minimal privileges (using kernel capabilities, for example) and are
48 responsible for very specific tasks only, to minimize their security
49 surface and impact. Also, systemd parallelizes the boot more than any
50 prior solution. This parallization happens by running more processes
51 in parallel. Thus it is essential that systemd is nicely split up into
52 many binaries and thus processes. In fact, many of these binaries[1]
53 are separated out so nicely, that they are very useful outside of
54 systemd, too.
55
56 A package involving 69 individual binaries can hardly be called
57 monolithic. What is different from prior solutions however, is that we
58 ship more components in a single tarball, and maintain them upstream
59 in a single repository with a unified release cycle."
60
61 That's all I will post related to the good or bad design of systemd;
62 we've had that conversation many times in different lists, and I will
63 not enter to it again. Specially since, every single time, the
64 consensus from the people that actually write and design code is that
65 systemd is quite good, or at least OK.
66
67 This thread is about the new /etc/systemd/network directory, and how
68 its cooties infect a machine.
69
70 Regards.
71