From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg DRI setup
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:05:12
1 Beso wrote:
2 > 2008/9/4 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
3 >> Beso wrote:
4 >>> 2008/9/2 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
5 >>> use the emerge -vp option and see the overlay from which you compile
6 >>> the package.
7 >>> portage tells you from which overlay it has chosen the package to install.
8 >>> for example you find the compiz package in 3 overlays, gentoo, x11 and
9 >>> desktop-effects and portage would list something similar to the
10 >>> following:
11 >>>
12 >>> # emerge compiz -vp
13 >>> ----
14 >>> ---
15 >>> [0] - gentoo
16 >>> [1] - x11
17 >>> [2] - desktop-effects
18 >>>
19 >>> x11-wm/compiz [2] USE: aaa bbbb ccc ddd -eee -ffff -ggg
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>> this means portage will install the compiz package from the [2]
23 >>> overlay, which in this case is desktop-effects.
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >> Okay, I'm getting things now. However, I'm still lost on part of the
27 >> directions you gave me. Maybe I"m just thick. :)
28 >>
29 >> I've followed the directions down to untarring the x11.tar.gz file. You say
30 >> to put it in the x11 overlay. I'm assuming that's the overlay in
31 >> /usr/portage/local/layman/x11?
32 >>
33 >> I have the keywords and unmasks set correctly (I think). I simply symlinked
34 >> them into /etc/portage/package.keywords and /package.mask. I know that's
35 >> not how you suggest doing it, but it was suggested that way in the
36 >> Documentation folder.
39 > the folder is ok, but you mustn't symlink them. you have to add the
40 > line i've wrote
41 >
42 > source <your folder>/x11.keywords into the /etc/portage/package_keywords.conf
43 > and
44 > soure <your folder>/x11.unmask into the /etc/portage/package_unmask.conf
45 >
46 > if you don't add that line with <your folder> the one in which you've
47 > copied the files you won't be able to use the same settings you've
48 > used for building world. this applies also to the package_unmask and
49 > package_keywords in the desktop-effects overlay.
50 >
51 >> Here's my biggest problem. With the x11 overlay in place, and the source
52 >> line in make.conf correct (I just tested compiz as you suggested above with
53 >> -vp and it is wanting to install it from the correct overlay) when I emerge
54 >> -vp x11-proto I get an error saying 'no ebuilds to satisfy'.
55 >>
56 >> Can you clarify that entire paragraph starting with 'You take the x11.tar.gz
57 >> in attachement'? This is where I'm lost.
58 >
59 > it's obvious. you haven't put the right stuff where should have gone.
60 > you have to link (inside the file) the various external package_unmask
61 > package_keywords and make.conf. doing that means you need to add a
62 > line which says:
63 >
64 > source <your file> inside the file you need. this is the way to
65 > correctly do this things.
68 So, will I need to source package_keywords.conf and package_unmask.conf
69 inside make.conf?
70
71 I've got the files created and everything sourced properly now, but I'm
72 still not seeing x11-proto when I emerge -vp.
73
74 I'm beginning to think this is beyond me.
78 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
81 Mark Haney
82 Sr. Systems Administrator
83 ERC Broadband
84 (828) 350-2415
85
86 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support