From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg DRI setup
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:24:27
1 2008/9/4 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
2 > Beso wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2008/9/2 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
7 >> use the emerge -vp option and see the overlay from which you compile
8 >> the package.
9 >> portage tells you from which overlay it has chosen the package to install.
10 >> for example you find the compiz package in 3 overlays, gentoo, x11 and
11 >> desktop-effects and portage would list something similar to the
12 >> following:
13 >>
14 >> # emerge compiz -vp
15 >> ----
16 >> ---
17 >> [0] - gentoo
18 >> [1] - x11
19 >> [2] - desktop-effects
20 >>
21 >> x11-wm/compiz [2] USE: aaa bbbb ccc ddd -eee -ffff -ggg
24 >> this means portage will install the compiz package from the [2]
25 >> overlay, which in this case is desktop-effects.
29 > Okay, I'm getting things now. However, I'm still lost on part of the
30 > directions you gave me. Maybe I"m just thick. :)
31 >
32 > I've followed the directions down to untarring the x11.tar.gz file. You say
33 > to put it in the x11 overlay. I'm assuming that's the overlay in
34 > /usr/portage/local/layman/x11?
35 >
36 > I have the keywords and unmasks set correctly (I think). I simply symlinked
37 > them into /etc/portage/package.keywords and /package.mask. I know that's
38 > not how you suggest doing it, but it was suggested that way in the
39 > Documentation folder.
42 the folder is ok, but you mustn't symlink them. you have to add the
43 line i've wrote
44
45 source <your folder>/x11.keywords into the /etc/portage/package_keywords.conf
46 and
47 soure <your folder>/x11.unmask into the /etc/portage/package_unmask.conf
48
49 if you don't add that line with <your folder> the one in which you've
50 copied the files you won't be able to use the same settings you've
51 used for building world. this applies also to the package_unmask and
52 package_keywords in the desktop-effects overlay.
53
54 > Here's my biggest problem. With the x11 overlay in place, and the source
55 > line in make.conf correct (I just tested compiz as you suggested above with
56 > -vp and it is wanting to install it from the correct overlay) when I emerge
57 > -vp x11-proto I get an error saying 'no ebuilds to satisfy'.
58 >
59 > Can you clarify that entire paragraph starting with 'You take the x11.tar.gz
60 > in attachement'? This is where I'm lost.
61
62 it's obvious. you haven't put the right stuff where should have gone.
63 you have to link (inside the file) the various external package_unmask
64 package_keywords and make.conf. doing that means you need to add a
65 line which says:
66
67 source <your file> inside the file you need. this is the way to
68 correctly do this things.
71 dott. ing. beso