From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:57:21
1 On 9/19/05, Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > everything caught up and worked well. Probably the same here. I expect
5 > > it will be fine one of these days soon.
6 >
7 > take a look in the ck (ck-sources) mailing list:
8 >
9 > http://bhhdoa.org.au/mailman/listinfo/ck
10 >
11 > http://kernel.kolivas.org/
12 >
13 > It's moderated by the author. They always have some talk about
14 > interactivity which leads to audio talk. There are a few audio guys on
15 > there that should be able to give you some ideas/links. ck tends to
16 > attract audio and video people, because of it's low latency. From what I
17 > can gather, audio people feel ck may not be perfect for audio apps, but
18 > it's a good start.
19
20 Thanks. Yes, I've run ck-sources a few times in the past but not had
21 good luck with it. I'm also suspicious that the problem I'm currectly
22 seeing with the gentoo-sources AMD64 kernel is likely to not be solved
23 by this. It seems right now that a simple emerge sync is causing xruns
24 on this system implying to me some underlying problem with either hard
25 drive activity or networking. since the hard drive is SATA and the
26 networking option in the kernel marks the NIC driver as 'Reverse
27 engineered - experimental' I'm not confident of fixing this problem in
28 the immediate short term anyway.
29
30 My thoughts right now:
31
32 1) kernel.org + rt patches
33 2) ck-sources
34 3) gentoo-sources-amd64 + rt patches not cleanly applied
35
36 I may also investigate a different NIC. I have a email friend that
37 runs a studio in Sydney. I helped him move from FC2 to Gentoo. We had
38 xruns using some of the NIC stuff for his motherboard. When we found
39 that was the problem he never had another problem.
40
41 Thanks for your ideas.
42
43 cheers,