From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External USB HD
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:34:23
1 On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Ryan Dagey <dts@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello Gurus:
6 > We have an office Gentoo server that I want to configure to run backups on
7 > an external USB drive. I’ve attempted this in the past and ended up
8 > purchasing one that was not compatible (I don’t recall the name, started
9 > with a B I believe). The issue was lack of Linux drivers/support, only
10 > Windows. So I thought it prudent to see if you guys had an experience with
11 > external drives that work well with Gentoo. Plug and play of course, as the
12 > drive will be moved to a fire safe when not in engaging backup, but I doubt
13 > that will be an issue with USB connectivity. It doesn’t need any bells and
14 > whistles like some of the secure drive have, but we would consider any such
15 > benefits. We would need at least 1-2TB, price isn’t as much of a concern as
16 > it is for a business client. It is a 64-bit machine, so 32-bit only is out,
17 > not sure if that’s as big of a concern anymore.
21 > Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
25 > --
26 >
27 > Ryan
28
29 I haven't had any problem with the 5 external USB drives I have. They
30 are either off-the-shelf Buffalo 500GB USB drives or I've purchased 3
31 NexStar 3 cases and put WD 1TB drives in them. Choose a file system
32 that allows labeling and if you're lucky like me you likely won't have
33 any problems.
34
35 Good luck,
36 Mark