From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:10:52
1 On 01/26/2010 01:20 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I've been working on trying to get this new machine to run X. So
4 > far no luck but I'm learning so it's interesting.
5 >
6 > My quick question goes like this - if I boot with no drivers I get
7 > a VGA console. If I modprobe a frame buffer driver at boot time then I
8 > get a nice looking but slow frame buffer console. All good so far.
9 > However my graphics adapter is supposed to use the i915 driver and
10 > when I modprobe that - either in auto-load or at the command like
11 > after logging in - my screen goes 'black'. I'm wondering what I do -
12 > other than look at what's in dmesg - to figure out what state the
13 > machine is in. Is the screen turned off? Is the driver running and
14 > putting out 'black'?
15
16 I might be wrong, but it sounds like the driver tries to use KMS (kernel
17 mode setting) which conflicts with other framebuffer drivers (KMS
18 provides a fast framebuffer console on its own).
19
20 So two things to try here:
21
22 A. Completely disable the vesafb driver.
23 B. Disable KMS in the i915 driver:
24 . When built as a module, use the "modeset=0" parameter
25 . When built in the kernel, use "i915.modeset=0" in Grub
26
27 Of course this assumes that KMS is indeed the problem.