From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: amd64 and kernel configuration
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:12:25
1 Dulmandakh Sukhbaatar posted <20050727062947.73020.qmail@××××××××.mn>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:29:47 +0800:
3
4 > I'm new to amd64 and don't know how to configure kernel for best
5 > performance, but I've been using gentoo since 2004.1. Should I enable SMP,
6 > HyperThreading (name differs from hypertransport), and NUMA with single
7 > processor? I found out what with hypertransport performance will better
8 > than without it, but in the help of SMP suggests that if you have single
9 > processor its better to disable SMP. Thus disabling SMP there is no option
10 > for hyperthreading. Last is hyperthreading same as hypertransport or not?
11 > Enabling hyperthreading can i enable hypertransport? Sorry for my poor
12 > english :D.
13
14 Hypertransport is the name of the interconnect technology AMD uses. It's
15 how the CPU connects to everything else. Therefore, you want that on, or
16 it'll use slower modes.
17
18 Hyperthreading is an Intel technology, used to help compensate for their
19 very deep CPU pipelining, to minimize the time the CPU spends idle in case
20 of a branch mispredict, by switching to the other thread while the first
21 one goes back to memory to get all the stuff it thought it wouldn't need
22 because it predicted the branch choice wrongly. AMD CPUs don't have such
23 deep pipelining and have other technology to minimize branch mispredict
24 penalties, so don't benefit much from hyperthreading, and therefore don't
25 include it. If your CPU is indeed an AMD64 CPU, you don't want
26 hyperthreading. If it's one of the new Intel x86_64 CPUs, you may or may
27 not want it, depending on which particular one it is and whether
28 hyperthreading is enabled on it or not.
29
30 SMP is short for Symmetrical Multi-Processing. Traditionally, it meant
31 you had two CPUs. However, hyperthreading is treated by the kernel as two
32 CPUs, which is why SMP must be enabled to get the hyperthreading option.
33 Note that the newest thing to come to x86/x86_64 is dual-core CPUs. These
34 CPUs actually have two logical CPUs in one package. This is better than
35 hyperthreading because it's the real thing. Both Intel and AMD have
36 dual-core units available, but they are quite new and still expensive, so
37 you aren't likely to have one and not know about it. Again, dual core is
38 handled as SMP by the processor, so you'll want SMP on if you have a
39 dual-core CPU. If you are using only a single-core AMD64, you'll want SMP
40 off, because altho the kernel will work with it on, it'll be more bloated
41 than it needs to be.
42
43 Does that clear up the confusion?
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
49 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list