From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java on AMD64
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:32:06
1 On 9/20/07, Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > > Dmitri Pogosyan schrieb:
3 > > >
4 > > > Although I have 64-bit machine for years now, recently I completely switched to 32 bit
5 > > > firefox-bin, just found supporting both 64-bit and 32-bit firefoxes too much of a bother.
6 > > > 32-bit flash and java works OK for me. Flash under 64-bit is I guess possible through
7 > some
8 > > > wrappers, but is a pain.
9 > > >
10 >
11 > > Only java is not supported for firefox 64bit. Most other plugins are
12 > > possible with nspluginwrapper.
13 >
14 > Sure, even java - I still have blackdown installed, which had a plugin (I remember, how two
15 > years ago I would go for 64 bit firefox if I need to see site with java, and for 32-bit - if I need
16 > flash). But is there point to bother ? I have couple of 32-bit applications, like openoffice,
17 > anyway.
20 I may need to install Blackdown along with Sun. My first significant
21 use of Java now that I have this working was not so good. The Java
22 frame didn't draw the stock charts (or anything else) and then Firefox
23 completely hung and had to be killed. I tried the web site (
24 http://www.thinkorswim.com ) a couple of times and got the same bad
25 results.
26
27 Now that I have it working it seems to me that it will be easier to
28 maybe find a version that does work, assuming there is one.
29
30 I have to try this on 32-bit Linux also to see if it's a Java thing or
31 an AMD64 thing.
32
33 Anyway, thanks.
34