From: Joerg Gollnick <gentoo102004@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 06:50:00
1 Hi,
2 my experience is that X11 over ssh performs well for 2D in a 100 Mbit LAN
3 Network. If you have a WAN between X Server and X Client you get much more
4 latency, so that this is noticable to a normal user. If you do this only for
5 remote support even a fast WAN (2 MBit) link is with waiting time usesable.
6 If you access a remote machine on a regular base outside the LAN, you have the
7 choice: open source solutions VNC and FreeNX or closed source solution (Sun
8 Global Desktop / Citrix ...).
9 If you need a easy to install solution then use VNC. It works nearly out of
10 the box (even if twm is not everbodys first choice) VNC can deal with ssh
11 Portforwarding, if the VNC Server is not directly reachable from the client.
12 I played years ago with NX Server ( not FreeNX) over a WAN. It worked well and
13 was fairly useable. They claim to be more efficient then VNC, as the NX
14 protocol is interweaved with the X11 protocol itself.
15 Best regards Jörg