From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: I can use only 3GB aout of install 6GB
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 13:58:51
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Then, look at memory model. Here, with current kernels, I have only one
3 > option, Sparse, evidently limited by my choice of hardware (Processor
4 > family and/or Supported processor vendor options, higher on the page, I'd
5 > guess or perhaps probed from the BIOS). However with older kernels, and
6 > presumably now if I were to choose hardware other than AMD Opteron/K8 (or
7 > choose a different BIOS option), there are Flat and Discontiguous options
8 > as well. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which options are correct for
9 > your (Intel) hardware. If you have multiple memory model choices, you
10 > may just have to try them and see.
14 I thought those extra options were just for NUMA systems and were about
15 how the memory from several NUMA nodes "fits together" ie whether it has
16 to form one continuos memory range or not.
19 WRT to original question, I'd update BIOS and kernel to the latest
20 version available and if that fails to rectifyy the problem, I'd try to
21 toy with kernel memory option parameters