From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: I can use only 3GB aout of install 6GB
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 23:08:40
1 On Mittwoch 06 Mai 2009, Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 > > Then, look at memory model. Here, with current kernels, I have only one
4 > > option, Sparse, evidently limited by my choice of hardware (Processor
5 > > family and/or Supported processor vendor options, higher on the page, I'd
6 > > guess or perhaps probed from the BIOS). However with older kernels, and
7 > > presumably now if I were to choose hardware other than AMD Opteron/K8 (or
8 > > choose a different BIOS option), there are Flat and Discontiguous options
9 > > as well. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which options are correct for
10 > > your (Intel) hardware. If you have multiple memory model choices, you
11 > > may just have to try them and see.
12 >
13 > I thought those extra options were just for NUMA systems and were about
14 > how the memory from several NUMA nodes "fits together" ie whether it has
15 > to form one continuos memory range or not.
18 > WRT to original question, I'd update BIOS and kernel to the latest
19 > version available and if that fails to rectifyy the problem, I'd try to
20 > toy with kernel memory option parameters
21
22 well, duncan has some old hardware and likes to turn on a lot of superfluos
23 options. Don't touch the numa stuff. Don't even enable it if you have 2cores
24 or intel system.