From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:22:56
1 Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> skribis:
2 > Another possible issue I just thought about is that for me to VPN into
3 > work I have to use Nortel Networks crappy Extranet client. The linux
4 > version is binary only and is a *real* pain to get to install on 32-bit.
5 > I have not seen a 64-bit binary version so to use the VPN I would need
6 > to run a 32-bit kernel. Which means having 2 kernels, one 32-bit and
7 > one 64-bit and having to reboot everytime I need to VPN. The other
8 > option is to install VMWare with Win2k and run the VPN client in there.
9 > However I have not tested how that will work under a 64-bit kernel.
10
11 Maybe User-Mode Linux would work for you?
12
13 I use a 32-bit chroot with essentially a complete system in
14 there. Once it's set up it's easier than maintaining two systems,
15 because the chroot doesn't have to be configured for boot and
16 shutdown, and because in fact most of the programs aren't used. But
17 space efficiency is so 1970s. A whole bloated system is there if I
18 want to use it for anything, such as a non-portage program that barfs
19 in 64-bit and which I don't feel like fixing.
22 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
23 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
24 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
25 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)