From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:22:56
Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> skribis:
> Another possible issue I just thought about is that for me to VPN into > work I have to use Nortel Networks crappy Extranet client. The linux > version is binary only and is a *real* pain to get to install on 32-bit. > I have not seen a 64-bit binary version so to use the VPN I would need > to run a 32-bit kernel. Which means having 2 kernels, one 32-bit and > one 64-bit and having to reboot everytime I need to VPN. The other > option is to install VMWare with Win2k and run the VPN client in there. > However I have not tested how that will work under a 64-bit kernel.
Maybe User-Mode Linux would work for you? I use a 32-bit chroot with essentially a complete system in there. Once it's set up it's easier than maintaining two systems, because the chroot doesn't have to be configured for boot and shutdown, and because in fact most of the programs aren't used. But space efficiency is so 1970s. A whole bloated system is there if I want to use it for anything, such as a non-portage program that barfs in 64-bit and which I don't feel like fixing. -- Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush (

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit? Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>