From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrading kdebase-startkde
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:29:00
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> posted
2 58965d8a0901301134k727d88d0id8db38276df282f7@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:34:55 -0600:
4
5 > there is a kde4 version of k3b masked...
6 >
7 > I was able to completely be rid of KDE3, I think I only really had 3 KDE
8 > programs outside of the main KDE tree, k3b, k9copy, and Amarok. All have
9 > KDE4 versions in testing or release.
10
11 Is there a kde4 version of kaffeine available? k3b is one I wasn't aware
12 of that I thought I'd need to keep kde3 around for, but I use kaffeine an
13 awful lot as well.
14
15 And significantly more obscure and if it's the only one I can simply use
16 the CLI version, but what about kstreamripper? A kde4 version of that
17 would be nice as well.
18
19 But... while I have kde-4.2 merged now, I've not yet played with it (I'm
20 hoping to start this weekend, hopefully later today). As customized as I
21 have my 3.x setup, I expect it'll take some time to get 4.x to anything
22 like the same usability, so I expect I'll keep kde3 installed for some
23 time yet, very possibly until 4.3 which I think is another six months
24 out. Meanwhile, if 4.2 is simply usable enough I can actually run it
25 much of the time and /start/ customizing it, if khotkeys, multiple
26 monitors, etc, actually work as they are supposed to in 4.2, it'll be a
27 big change for the better, as 4.1 was simply unusable for me due to that,
28 and 4.0 was even more so. So if I can actually run it well enough to
29 just start the customization, and I can actually get far enough in doing
30 so that it's worth keeping the customizations instead of throwing them
31 away and starting over again with 4.3, I'll be a very happy camper, as
32 it'll be serious progress indeed! So anyway, while having kde4 versions
33 of the above programs will certainly help in the transfer, I expect I'll
34 still have kde3 merged for quite some time, so no big hurry, just yet.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman