From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrading kdebase-startkde
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:48:37
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > But... while I have kde-4.2 merged now, I've not yet played with it (I'm
3 > hoping to start this weekend, hopefully later today). As customized as I
4 > have my 3.x setup, I expect it'll take some time to get 4.x to anything
5 > like the same usability, so I expect I'll keep kde3 installed for some
6 > time yet, very possibly until 4.3 which I think is another six months
7 > out.
8
9 I also was waiting for a "better" version when KDE 4.0 came out and was
10 sticking to KDE 3. Then KDE 4.1 came out but I still preferred 3. Two
11 days ago I tried KDE 4.2.0 and it seems that this is the version that
12 can replace KDE 3 for me. So far, I didn't login to KDE 3 again after I
13 had 4.2.0 running. The only feature I'm missing from KDE 3 is sticky
14 keyboard layout switching and HAL mount options. I also didn't have a
15 single crash/segfault (yet) in KDE 4.2.0. Plasma and KWin used to
16 crashed like hell in 4.1.4. It's very stable on my machine; running
17 straight for about 20 hours now. So far, it looks good. Make sure you
18 have upgraded to x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2-r2 though and then rebuild
19 kdelibs and plasma-workspace (to make sure)! It fixes crashes that
20 occur with 4.4.2-r1.