From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrading kdebase-startkde
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 04:05:43
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> posted gm2gv4$45g$1@×××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:48:34 +0200:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> But... while I have kde-4.2 merged now, I've not yet played with it
6
7 Well, I did a marathon session of playing and configuration today...
8
9 > I also was waiting for a "better" version when KDE 4.0 came out and was
10 > sticking to KDE 3. Then KDE 4.1 came out but I still preferred 3. Two
11 > days ago I tried KDE 4.2.0 and it seems that this is the version that
12 > can replace KDE 3 for me. So far, I didn't login to KDE 3 again after I
13 > had 4.2.0 running.
14
15 KDE 4.2 is definitely better than 4.1, and I think after I get it
16 customized it'll be actually usable, definitely the first time I've been
17 able to say that on the 4.x cycle, but let's put it this way...
18
19 I can't say that Linus was wrong switching away for awhile, as it's
20 certainly not up to 3.5.10 yet and has a quite a way to go, and given
21 that, on distributions like Fedora that aren't making it easy to continue
22 to run 3.5, Gnome may unfortunately be one of the least-worst options.
23
24 > The only feature I'm missing from KDE 3 is sticky
25 > keyboard layout switching and HAL mount options.
26
27 I'm still missing several. Speed for one.
28
29 My video card is an older Radeon 9200SE as that was pretting much the
30 best available with freedomare drivers for several years, and even still,
31 full support on the newer cards isn't yet stable -- tho it's improving
32 very fast and looks to be headed there by the end of the year. The
33 problem is that the R2xx series chips (of which the Radeon 92xx is one of
34 the last) only support upto 2048x2048 OpenGL acceleration, and at
35 1960x1200 stacked for 1960x2400, the bottom 352 pixels of my viewport
36 aren't OpenGL accelerated.
37
38 That means none of the fancy OpenGL stuff works reliably. On older
39 versions it would crash. On 4.2, it simply doesn't enable them and I use
40 XRender.
41
42 The problem is that while it disables the effects themselves, there's
43 little if any hint in the GUI what depends on OpenGL. I can checkmark
44 them on and only by actually trying to invoke them and "nothing happens"
45 do I see (rather, am left to /guess/) that said features require OpenGL.
46
47 While "not crashing" in such cases is a VAST improvement over 4.1, "not
48 crashing" really isn't good enough. They need at least a description
49 saying they only work with OpenGL, and would in most traditional
50 instances simply be disabled, since it won't let me enable OpenGL.
51
52 And the features that work... without good OpenGL, are still relatively
53 slow. Sure, they can be turned off, but there goes much of the reason
54 one might otherwise find kde 4.x better, to date at least.
55
56 Without OpenGL and with some of the composite effects turned off that
57 actually work reasonably well in 3.5 because they're too slow in 4.2...
58 yes, it's now at least functional, but there's really not all /that/ much
59 left to justify the extreme hassle and tens of hours of work (I'm
60 guessing it'll be roughly 40 hours here, a full-time work-week
61 equivalent) recustomizing!
62
63 > I also didn't have a single crash/segfault (yet) in KDE 4.2.0. Plasma
64 > and KWin used to crashed like hell in 4.1.4. It's very stable on my
65 > machine; running straight for about 20 hours now.
66
67 I DID get a couple things to segfault, but I was pushing it pretty hard
68 (BECAUSE I HAD TO GUESS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T DISABLE WHAT WON'T WORK
69 ANYWAY). But I expect once I get thru customizing everything and have it
70 configured (BY GUESSING AND TRIAL AND ERROR, SINCE THEY CAN'T BE BOTHERED
71 TO DISABLE WHAT WON'T WORK!) more reasonably within the limits of my
72 hardware, segfaults, etc, will be pretty rare.
73
74 For a .2 release, that's... well, honestly, I'd expect MS to be pulling
75 stuff like that, and from what I've read, they actually did, with Vista.
76 Heh, at least I didn't pay good money for the privilege of getting
77 crapped on, like all those "Vista Ready" folks did!
78
79 But it's still nothing the FLOSS community can be proud of, especially
80 for an X.2 release (where X > 0)! And it's nowhere near the smooth
81 functioning of 3.5.10, and by X.2 of the next version, it should really
82 be better.
83
84 Really, the experience would have been /much/ better of they had just
85 disabled in the GUI all the effects that weren't actually available since
86 I couldn't enable OpenGL. That's something they obviously know, whether
87 an effect requires OpenGL or not, and the infrastructure is already
88 there, so why are they still forcing trial and error to find out what
89 works and what doesn't, especially by X.2 (I could see it for x.98 betas,
90 feature complete but rough aroudn the edges)? That makes no sense at all!
91
92 > So far, it looks good. Make sure you have upgraded to
93 > x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2-r2 though and then rebuild kdelibs and
94 > plasma-workspace (to make sure)! It fixes crashes that
95 > occur with 4.4.2-r1.
96
97 I did!
100 Meanwhile, khotkeys sort of works now... but the "extra" key I had most
101 of my app-launchers stacked on (two-key sequence invocation), XF86WWW,
102 works fine in 3.5.x and has since before 3.5, and it's detected on 4.2,
103 but the message when I try to set it is, "Qt 4.x doesn't support the
104 selected key." or something to that effect. WTF!? It can SEE the key
105 and knows I pressed it in ordered to give me that message. It worked
106 perfectly fine in 3.5 (and before)! What's this about not supported?!
107
108 Same story, different page, and it's getting tiresome. It's that sort of
109 stuff that should NOT still be happening in an X.2 version.
110
111 ... And 4.2 was what they were billing as finally worth switching for!
112 <shakes head> Well, It might finally be barely tolerable if that's the
113 best option available, but it's frankly extremely disappointing. This
114 would arguably be 4.0 material, but more accurately, I'd call it x.0-rc
115 material. It's really a cryin' shame!
116
117 And... I don't see any way yet to enable anything parallel to the
118 ksysguard kicker applet, which was how I did most of my system
119 monitoring. The various system monitor plasma applets sort of get there,
120 but aren't very flexible and so far, seem way dark (or way bright,
121 presumably, in a different scheme).
122
123 ...
124
125 As I expected, 4.2 does finally seem functional enough to actually run
126 and bug report on, functional enough I can start configuring and
127 hopefully keep it instead of blow it away as I did with the 4.1 config,
128 to prevent bugs, etc. But it's still vastly disappointing. Hopefully
129 when I upgrade video cards and get full OpenGL support, probably about
130 the 4.3 timeframe, the combination of the two will finally be 3.5.x
131 parity functional replacement, even improvement. But I wouldn't call
132 this there yet. But, as I said, at least it's functional enough I can
133 run it and not be filing bugs on essentially the entire thing, now!
134 That's vast improvement from 4.0 and 4.1! So they're getting somewhere.
135 It's just not really "there" yet, for me and my obviously way too extreme
136 for them power user demands. But 3.5.10 could do it, and I remain
137 hopeful for 4.3, and 4.4, and....
142 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman