From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 or 32?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:17:01
1 On Friday 10 February 2006 01:35, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
4 > - for what I'd like to do with video (ripping and converting DVDs and DV
5 > processing) 64 bit software is not ready: I did not check directly if
6 > transcode works,
7
8 well, it should. At least I have it installed.
9
10 > but DVDRip would not start. Cinelerra didn't install
11 > either, only kino worked - and MainActor is still 32 bit, if it works at
12
13 wgich should all work with the 32 bit emul libs.
14
15 > all. - regarding audio, 64bit is not an issue. Ripping the CD allready took
16 > more time than converting to ogg on my dual Athlon.
17 > - standard desktop applications, as far as I am concerned, heavily rely on
18 > OpenOffice.org and that is still 32 bit
19 > - gaming also requires 32bit
20
21 no it does not
22
23 ut2004 for example is available in a 64bit version.
24 And even if not, it would work with the emul-libs.
27 > So I am thinking that a 32bit Gentoo is the way to go. I may switch to
28 > 64bit later, when it really (?) brings something
29
30 It does bring something today:
31 8 more registers.
32 And for encoding stuff, it should make a difference.
33 >
34 > Does anyone have other arguments to justify the troubles of working with a
35 > 64bit install at the moment?
38 there are no troubles?
39 Only if you need flash and or the win32codec package, you have to install
40 firefox-bin and mplayer-bin.
41
42 And since it does not make sense to compile firefox, it does not hurt.
43 --
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list