From: mr_L4N <serverplus@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-amd64@l.g.o" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd without migration
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:04:27
1 Thanks for your note, now system boot with openrc correctly, but absolutely
2 without network (possibly driver's problem). I'm on an Asus X79
3
4 Il martedì 24 novembre 2015, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> ha scritto:
5
6 > On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM, mr_L4N <serverplus@×××××.com
7 > <javascript:;>> wrote:
8 > > Hi, i'm trying to install systemd on a new installation, without openrc.
9 > >
10 > > Is it possible to do? There's some guide on the net?
11 > >
12 > > I having many problem with correct boot, and network.
15 > As Duncan suggested you could follow the handbook, and it will work,
16 > but the sequencing is suboptimal.
17 >
18 > Merging systemd install instructions into the handbook is something on
19 > my to-do list.
20 >
21 > Looking at my notes the last time I looked at the details you just
22 > need to pick a systemd profile at the point where you pick a profile.
23 > Then you need to do these steps before you emerge -u world (the steps
24 > are in the handbook, but not necessarily in the right order):
25 > 1. Edit locale.gen and run locale-gen
26 > 2. Pick your profile with eselect profile
27 > 3. Run ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab (why this isn't already in
28 > baselayout is beyond me)
29 > 4. echo "EST5EDT" > /etc/timezone
30 >
31 > Then when you emerge -u world these settings will get migrated to
32 > systemd automatically.
33 >
34 > When you're done you just add
35 > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" to your
36 > /etc/default/grub before running grub2-mkconfig.
37 >
38 > If you're having booting issues it probably has nothing to do with
39 > systemd itself - that seems like a bootloader/initramfs problem. I'd
40 > recommend using dracut and grub2 as they tend to be much smarter about
41 > such things.
42 >
43 > To get your network running you'll need to enable/start
44 > systemd-networkd or the network manager of your choice. If you don't
45 > want to use networkd then make sure you install your choice of
46 > networkd before you reboot while you still have a network, or just use
47 > networkd until you get another network manager installed/configured.
48 > If you're just using dhcp it doesn't require any configuration.
49 >
50 > You did mention "without openrc" - while being able to install without
51 > openrc is on the to-do list right now there are still a few packages
52 > which use openrc instead of sys-apps/gentoo-functions and until these
53 > are fixed we have openrc in the system set so that it is hard to
54 > remove. Once these are fixed then I suspect we'll get to a point
55 > where picking/installing your service manager/init are just like
56 > picking your bootloader and kernel.
57 >
58 > You're welcome to follow my notes, but they also include the use of
59 > btrfs which you may or may not want to use:
60 >
61 > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23Uxg/edit?usp=sharing
62 >
63 > --