From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Migrating to ~amd64 revisitted.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:47:49
1 On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 09:40 +0100, Toby Fisher wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > First, thanks to all those who responded to my query last week regarding
5 > migrating from amd64 to ~amd64. Well, it all went to plan, well nearly, I
6 > managed to trash /var (we won't go into how that happened, suffice to say it
7 > won't happen again). This in one sense made it easier because Portage
8 > thought it had no packages at all, so I just installed what I wanted and I
9 > do now have a functional ~amd64 system - most of the compiles were done
10 > overnight so no time was really wasted. However, I do have one problem. I
11 > can't seem to persuade Sandbox to compile. It bombs out in the configure
12 > stage complaining that the c compiler cannot create executables. Now I know
13 > this to be untrue as I've compiled my complete system with no troubles,
14 > except for Sandbox. I had to get around the problem by emerging a binary
15 > package of Sandbox-1.2.9 (~amd64 wants 1.2.13) provided by a friend of mine
16 > running amd64. It doesn't seem to have broken anything but I am concerned
17 > as this problem will only rear its ugly head again the next time I want to
18 > perform a system update. Any ideas anyone? If it helps, looking at the
19 > config log it seems to be building stuff for ABI32 and 64, and for the
20 > former it is using a libdir of /usr/lib32. This is the only thing I can see
21 > that might be causing the problem; and yes, I am running a multi-lib set-up.
24 This is caused by something missing in your 32-bit toolchain, causing
25 the 32-bit sandbox emerge to fail. You can find out for sure by looking
26 in the config.log for sandbox, but the three parts of the equation are
27 gcc with -m32 support, 32-bit glibc, and 32-bit libsandbox. Installing
28 the binary package may have fixed your problem, if the problem was
29 sandbox, so try again. Otherwise, take a look here:
30 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dang/2005.x-no-multilib-to-multilib-upgrade.txt
33 Daniel Gryniewicz
34 Gentoo AMD64 Team / Gentoo Gnome Herd / AMD64 Operational AT Lead
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list