From: Bira <u.alberton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] [off-topic] Help with home network
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:17:27
1 This is a bit off-topic, but it's something the fine people on this
2 list are likely to have experience with...
5 I have recently set up (or tried to) a home network. There's an AMD64
6 desktop running Gentoo and a recently purchased HP nx6310 laptop
7 running Windoze XP, and they are supposed to be linked via a D-Link
8 wireless router.
9
10 Both machines can access the Internet, but at first I just couldn't
11 get them to see /each other/ on the home network. All ping packets
12 from one to the other were lost. I solved part of the problem by
13 disabling the laptop's built-in Norton Internet Security firewall -
14 when I do this, the desktop can see the laptop, but the laptop /still/
15 can't ping the desktop.
16
17 The problem seems to be solely with the laptop - so, do any of the
18 list's members with experience in putting Linux and Windows machines
19 on the same network have some advice?
22 Bira
23 http://compexplicita.blogspot.com
24 http://sinfoniaferida.blogspot.com
25 --