From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [off-topic] Help with home network
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:52:00
1 Bira wrote:
2 > This is a bit off-topic, but it's something the fine people on this
3 > list are likely to have experience with...
6 > I have recently set up (or tried to) a home network. There's an AMD64
7 > desktop running Gentoo and a recently purchased HP nx6310 laptop
8 > running Windoze XP, and they are supposed to be linked via a D-Link
9 > wireless router.
10 >
11 > Both machines can access the Internet, but at first I just couldn't
12 > get them to see /each other/ on the home network. All ping packets
13 > from one to the other were lost. I solved part of the problem by
14 > disabling the laptop's built-in Norton Internet Security firewall -
15 > when I do this, the desktop can see the laptop, but the laptop /still/
16 > can't ping the desktop.
17 >
18 > The problem seems to be solely with the laptop - so, do any of the
19 > list's members with experience in putting Linux and Windows machines
20 > on the same network have some advice?
23 Yeah I can probably help. I have 13 machines at home and a couple of
24 them are windows boxes (for games only). My guess is that the Norton
25 Firewall might be off, but the Windows Firewall might not be. I will be
26 glad to offer help off list. A look at your network IP ranges, etc
27 would be helpful too.
31 Ita erat quando hic adveni.
32
33 Mark Haney