From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:57:13
1 On Sunday 15 October 2006 03:44, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup':
3 > The Brother they have at work is a laser 4-way
4 > printer-scanner-copier-fax
5
6 Probably an MFC-7420, like mine, or possibly one of it's "big brothers."
7 They have cups, lpd, and sane drivers available for x86 linux, but no
8 support for other arches (including x86_64) last time I checked. They do
9 have a separate cups driver that allows faxing from your desktop.
10
11 As I'm on x86_64 and don't need a scanner much, I looked for other cups
12 drivers that were available from portage and found the
13 Brother MFC-9600 Foomatic/hl1250' driver worked fine for simple printing.
14
15 FWIW, I think Brother wants to be linux friendly, but haven't (for whatever
16 reason) but a lot of effort behind it.
19 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
20 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
21 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
22 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh