From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:03:24
1 Frank Peters posted on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:48:38 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > But if the legacy keyboard and mouse drivers have been made obsolete by
4 > evdev, then why are they still being distributed? Is it only to
5 > accommodate older systems?
6
7 Keep in mind that xorg is used on BSD systems and the like (Solaris...),
8 as well. I believe that's the most common use case for many of the
9 "legacy" drivers, including kbd and mouse but also including many of the
10 "exotic" graphics drivers as well -- the ones that aren't adopting RANDR,
11 KMS, etc, because they're running on non-linux kernels without the
12 required supporting infrastructure.
13
14 Not that there aren't corner-cases where kbd/mouse would be used in place
15 of evdev on Linux as well, but that's exactly what they are these days,
16 corner-cases.
17
18 Plus there's people like you who still run an old config and see little
19 reason to change it as long as it's working the way they want. But that
20 too is becoming more of a corner case, as all the various necessary
21 components have been out and reasonably stable for years now, so even the
22 slow updaters like Debian stable are standardizing on evdev now. I think
23 RHEL/CentOS 6 has it as well, tho those still on RHEL 5 may not, and I
24 think it still has a few years of support left.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman