From: Matthias Wolle <matthias.wolle@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:45:15
1 Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 20:25 schrieb Sebastian Redl:
2 > Matthias Wolle wrote:
3 > >You are right! AMD licenced HT-Technology from Intel.
4 > >AMD Dual Core CPU's uses this to fake a HT-CPU.
5 >
6 > "Fake"? Hyperthreading is just a fancy word for what AMD's "Dual Core"
7 > describes much better: these CPUs have multiple cores, i.e. instruction
8 > handlers, that share the integer, floating point etc. units. The idea is
9 > that, since in a conventional CPU all but one of these units are idle at
10 > all times, multiple cores could make better use of the CPU.
11 >
12 > Sebastian Redl
13
14 I dont want to contradict!
15
16 the german wikipedia writes (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Athlon_64_X2):
17
18 "Der Athlon 64 X2 gibt sich als Hyper-Threading-fähig aus und kann dadurch von
19 diversen Optimierungen profitieren,..."
20
21 "The Athlon 64 X2 masquerade as hyperthreading capable to benfit from
22 hyperthreading optimizations."
23
24 I didnt recheck this information with AMD official papers. Now I did and I
25 could not found anything about ...
26
27 I wrote the author of this sentence to get his source of information.
28
29 greets
30 Matthias
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list