From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:18:16
1 Matthias Wolle wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 20:25 schrieb Sebastian Redl:
3 >
4 >> Matthias Wolle wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> You are right! AMD licenced HT-Technology from Intel.
7 >>> AMD Dual Core CPU's uses this to fake a HT-CPU.
8 >>>
9 >> "Fake"? Hyperthreading is just a fancy word for what AMD's "Dual Core"
10 >> describes much better: these CPUs have multiple cores, i.e. instruction
11 >> handlers, that share the integer, floating point etc. units. The idea is
12 >> that, since in a conventional CPU all but one of these units are idle at
13 >> all times, multiple cores could make better use of the CPU.
14 >>
15 >> Sebastian Redl
18 > I dont want to contradict!
19 >
20 > the german wikipedia writes (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Athlon_64_X2):
21 >
22 > "Der Athlon 64 X2 gibt sich als Hyper-Threading-fähig aus und kann dadurch von
23 > diversen Optimierungen profitieren,..."
24 >
25 > "The Athlon 64 X2 masquerade as hyperthreading capable to benfit from
26 > hyperthreading optimizations."
27 >
28 > I didnt recheck this information with AMD official papers. Now I did and I
29 > could not found anything about ...
30 >
31 > I wrote the author of this sentence to get his source of information.
32 >
33 > greets
34 > Matthias
37 FWIW, Hyerthreading is not the same as Dual Core. HT still occurs on a
38 single processor core, it's the branch prediction and the pipelining
39 that lets a single core act more like a dual CPU. A dual core system
40 has two sets of pipelines, instruction sets and branch prediction
41 registers, in effect the exact design of a two CPU system on one die.
42 Hyperthreading is sort of a halfway point between a single and a dual core.
46 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
47
48 Mark Haney
49 Sr. Systems Administrator
50 ERC Broadband